This is Bubbles, a beautiful 10 month old grey and white DSH.

Mom though she was doing good.
She knew her apartment complex had fleas, so she went out to Walmart and got a Hartz topical flea treatment labelled for cats. She placed the appropriate amount on her baby, following the instructions to the letter. Unfortunately, what Bubbles experienced and what happens way too often is a severe local chemical burn from the concentrated pesticide in these over-the-counter product. Bubbles was actually very lucky with only her skin affected. We also commonly see cats that can have such severe reactions to these products that they can experience seizures, organ failure and death.
Please be aware that not all products that are labelled for pets are actually safe, and that not all flea/tick/parasite treatments are created equal. Stay safe this season!
[envira-gallery id=”845″]